Monday, November 30, 2015

Lacing Up

Do you find yourself sometimes drawn to garments and accessories laden with giant, gaping holes?


Me too.


My first-attempt lace-like scarf start. 

Ok, maybe the holes are not giant and gaping. Let's try stable and intentional.


Lace knitting is a beautiful technique that incorporates wonderfully patterned yarn overs in order to create a light and airy knitted piece. I like the delicate feel and appearance of the technique, but further, I am interested in the pattern architecture.


In my initial days of knitting, I was intrigued by lace. However, many seasoned crafters let me know in that nice "it's-something-to-look-forward-to" gentle let-down type of language that I should become more comfortable with the motion of knits and purls before I attempt something complex, like lace.


With a few months of knitting under my belt, I was ready to take on a bit of a fiber challenge.


"Why not?" I thought, "Why not try something tricky?"


After sweeping Ravelry for a few hours, "That's so pretty!" became "Wow. That looks really tough." and eventually, I settled on "Alright - no. Nope. Not skilled enough yet." However, I was still enticed by the look of the hole-y (not holy, Blessed Yarn is something different) knits, so I dug some older yarn out of my stash and tried to figure out how to make the look I wanted. I found the solution in the number four.


Knits galore in groups of four.


Even numbers are friendly to knit with, especially when working with yarn-overs and knit-togethers. A knitter can create patterns, as shown in the lace-like knit above, without losing stitches. To make this scarf, I casted on twenty-four stitches. This number was really important for the whole project, for a different number would create chaos in the pattern. I learned this the hard way, through observation of lots of mistakes.


This scarf requires twenty-four stitches on the needle for the entire pattern.




For a few days, this project took over my life (only a slight exaggeration). While knitting, I would have to stop mid-conversation and count my stitches over and over again, only to become more distracted when I got to the end of the needles and -- oops! only twenty-three stitches there. Quite frankly, this pattern took a long time to craft and I'm not sure how valuable it it, for the scarf does not quite have that super-holy and delicate look I was going for. Perhaps I will try to knit lace with one of the "too tough" patterns I passed before.

8 comments:

  1. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. Internships in Gauteng, South africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel really happy to have seen your webpage and look forward to so many more entertaining times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details. government jobs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your article; it is very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it. Health

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve read some good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create such a great informative website. PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it, Where can I buy a registered UK driving license

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read your article; it is very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it. Digital Printing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to to thank you for this very good read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out new things you post… Guesthouse Security

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. Cancun

    ReplyDelete